Monday, July 26, 2010

A funny thing happened on the way to Jiu Jitsu

This past saturday I went to our school's open mat. When I got there, a white belt of...two, maybe three months was talking with our instructor Steve. Normally, if i'm not involved with the conversation from the beginning I mind my own business, but I could not help but eavesdrop a little since I was completely blown away by what I heard as I walked past. ( I won't name any names, since I know of at least 1 teammate that reads my blog-whaaatup Bernard!)

The conversation went something like this:

white belt of two/three months: so when are so and so getting their purple belts? I think so and so really should get their purple belts soon because they've been blue belts for x years and they are really good and technical.

steve: well, they need a couple more tournaments under their belts...etc etc etc

Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but this is absolutely ridiculous right? I mean, at what point during the two months did this white belt become more knowledgable than our instructor who has spent a decade plus training and competing in Jiu Jitsu? My initial reaction was to speak up and say "dude, seriously?" But since Steve graciously answered his questions without even batting an eyelash I held my tongue.

Which brings me to the point of this blog entry...Promotions.

Cleber Jiu Jitsu / Redlion Jiu Jitsu / Elite Team Jiu Jitsu is on a system where at the very minimum you have to spend a year and a half at your current belt before you can even be considered for promotion. So, even if you are a blue belt and you are absolutely destroying your competition at all the major tournaments you still need to meet the minimum time requirement. (I believe there are exceptions although i'm not sure how you qualify for them)

Now, other than this minimum time requirement there is nothing else preventing you from advancing other than your own consistency, ability to learn and execute, and tournament participation. So you won't find Steve holding back anyone just for the sake of holding them back. In fact, his philosophy is to never let you get comfortable. "Comfortable at white? Here is your blue. Comfortable at blue? Here is your purple. Go and get your ass kicked so that mentally you can step your game up to the next level." And I have to say that it has worked. At least for me.

I remember when I first got my Blue after 6 months of being a white...and I absolutely did not feel like I was a blue. I particularly remember going down to Huntington and rolling with this purple belt who played with me like a cat plays with a ball of yarn. After the first 6 taps he didn't even bother submitting me. I was devastated. I went back to my instructor and told him about how I wanted to give him back my blue belt and how I think this and i think that...

In retrospect, I realize how childish I was being and how I was in no position to question my instructor's decision. Not then, not now, and probably not ever. Because of his decision to promote me when he did, I stepped my game up, worked harder and now feel like I've "earned" my blue. In fact I can even say I am comfortable.

Promotions are around the corner, and while I don't feel like I am ready for a purple belt or even at a purple belt level, I won't question if my instructor does or doesn't promote me. In fact, I don't really care. But if it happens, I will be ready to "earn" my purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment